The Rentable Writer

Monday, June 12, 2006

'The Ambrosia of the Pond'

I don't usually enjoy writing short stories. I like to read them, but not write them. If I do manage to put one out, it's always extremely short. The one I'm about to post is my record-holder at 2 1/2 pages. One night a few months ago, though, I sat down and said to myself, "I am so bored I'm going to attempt to write a short story." (I've submitted it to a Writer's Digest contest. Do you think I have a shot at winning?) This is the result:

[6/24/06: I have removed the story because I recently read if I ever want to get it published, having it online may be a deterrant for editors.]

5 Comments:

  • Stumbled across your blog, will stumble through again with regularity!

    There appears to be nothing to link to (your story), if that indeed was your intent.

    Btw, you are sure that you are only interested in fiction? Perhaps you might have a spare moment to browse through my (very) young blog that I am just getting off the ground.

    I am looking in a very big way to connect with other "blogwriters", writers at large, and the writing community in general.

    Peace!

    By Blogger Jules, at June 12, 2006 1:55 PM  

  • And you don't like to write short stories why? You're actually quite good at it if this one is any indication. I enjoyed it, never mind that it touches upon one of my deepest phobias.

    By Blogger Serena Joy, at June 12, 2006 3:20 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger The Rentable Writer, at June 12, 2006 6:23 PM  

  • I guess it's because I like to tell long, detailed, and intricate stories. I'm a novelist by nature, so anything under that can be hard. But right now I have an awesome idea for a really long short story/novella ... or a really short novel. The only thing I'm waiting for is to finish the first novel in my series. Then, maybe I'll get this novella out of the way. Thanks for the comment.

    By Blogger The Rentable Writer, at June 12, 2006 6:24 PM  

  • I'm the same way. I write novels, cannot write a short story to save my soul. Could this mean I am ... long-winded? LOL.

    Best of luck with your awesome idea.

    By Blogger Serena Joy, at June 12, 2006 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home